06 January 2010

TREK REVOKED!

Another reason my Geek Card has been revoked: Star Trek.

I used to watch the old show when I was a kid. I remember liking it, but not as much as Star Wars - but then, I didn't like ANYTHING as much as Star Wars at that point in time. Not even girls. Give me a break, I was only eighteen at the time, girls were icky!

Anyway, I was thirteen when TNG came on the air. And it was the absolute BALLS. I didn't mind that Picard was not Kirk - that's what Riker was clearly there for. The new look of the ship and the uniforms and even the aliens was great! The hot women didn't have 60s hair and good lord was Marina Sirtis hot! And that Q guy! And yes, Wesley. There was a kid my age on that ship, and he might've dressed in Cosby sweaters but dammit, he was a smart, geeky kid who the adults LISTENED TO! (Sometimes.)

I watched as much as I could, but this was pre-DVR days. I'm not even sure if we had a VCR at this point. My parents weren't against Trek, but they certainly didn't go out of their way for it. So I saw the first few, caught more here and there, and generally liked the show. But after a while Trek and I just sort of parted company.

I've tried to write some sort of explanation for why Trek just stopped working for me. And deleted it. And wrote it again. And deleted it again and again. I really don't know why, but Trek just never worked for me the way other stuff did.

I do have favorite episodes of TOS and TNG. Never really got into DS9 or Voyager and I barely gave Enterprise a chance (insert cheap Enterprise joke here.)

I have read Harlan Ellison's book about City on the Edge of Forever, and that ruined the episode for me. I remember really liking The Trouble With Tribbles and Balance of Terror from the old show (haven't watched either one in years, what with City turning out so badly for me.)

TNG had The Measure of a Man, the Cardassian Torture episode Chain of Command, the one with Ryker's Dad, and the final episode, All Good Things...

And like everybody, I love me some of the Trek movies. The only TNG movie I really dug was First Contact, but I really enjoyed seeing Kirk and Picard share the screen in Generations. Wrath of Khan holds up damn well. And the Abrams relaunch blew my head right off. It had its flaws, but man oh man.

So yeah. I guess what I'm really saying is I'm an at-best casual fan of the Trek 'verse. But willing to give it another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment